Carole's Creativities

A place for sharing my 2006 art journals and related creative explorations.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Castleton, VA

I am a creative type living in the hills of rural Virginia. I'm trying to transform my geek career into an art career but the two keep joining forces in a seeming conspiracy to complicate my life. Or is it just part of the Big Plan? Hmmmmm. I wonder.

January 06, 2006

Feelin' Fossil-ey



I've been thinking about fossils lately (probably cuz I am beginning to resemble one). So the spackling paste that has been beckoning me to come hither for months was finally recruited for today's project. I used a fat popsicle stick to scoop a couple of blobs of the chalky stuff into a half cup plastic container, then thoroughly mixed in some matte gel medium. When that was blended, I poured in some Lumiere paint (Pewter and Metallic Olive Green) and a little bit of gold PearlEx, then swirled that mixture lightly, so it wasn't totally blended. Don't ask me how much of this or how much of that...I do art like I cook...I just wing it. If it doesn't work, who cares? But anyway...then I scraped a layer of this paste mixture onto a 4x4 piece of 140 lb watercolor paper, pulling the paste in a couple of different directions very quickly, leaving some ridges for texture. Then I got out my all-time-favorite stamp, a fern leaf from Plaid, and pressed it into the wet paste, removing it immediately. I set the page aside to dry, washed my stamp and went up to feed the starving masses (if I'm late getting up to the barn, 14 mini donkeys and 2 giant mules will summon me with a lovely chorus that echoes off the hillsides, making me even more popular with my neighbors than I already am; unlike doorbells and ringing phones, this is one summons that I will answer religiously cuz they're my babies!).

When I got back from doing barn chores and loving on my critters a little, the piece was dry, so I rubbed my gold and copper Brilliance pads across it this way and that, pressing harder at some points to work the pigment into the deeper crevices. Then I used a soft brush to dust on copper and green PearlEx in various locations. Finally, I attached a mica tile with some little brown brads to create a focal point on the fern. (I love those little brads. If I was a jewelry person, I'd be thinking about how I could stick 'em in my ear to wear as earrings.) So that's the story of this piece...I'm pleased with how it turned out AND it has the distinction of being the first of what I hope will be a weekly 4x4 page I'll make as part of my Daily Devotions art in 2006. At the end of the year, I'll bind all the 4x4s into a chunky book as a tribute to this Year of Art.

6 Comments:

Blogger Angelvista said...

I love this piece. It looks wonderful. I love pieces with texture that just screams "touch me". Of course, I have a weakness for fossils.

6/1/06 11:02 AM  
Blogger Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Carole, this is very cool! Love the texture and your earthy colors.

6/1/06 11:26 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Beautiful!! I want to try this, thanks so much for including your "how you did it" information. So kind of you to share so much of yourself :-))

6/1/06 11:29 AM  
Blogger Lauralyn said...

That fern really pops out. This is a great piece. It is going to be such a wonderful book at the end of the year! Thanks for sharing your methods, also.

6/1/06 11:34 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Really super, thanks for the info

6/1/06 11:49 AM  
Blogger Hashi said...

I love it. It looks ancient yet very present.

6/1/06 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home