Carole's Creativities

A place for sharing my 2006 art journals and related creative explorations.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Castleton, VA

I am a creative type living in the hills of rural Virginia. I'm trying to transform my geek career into an art career but the two keep joining forces in a seeming conspiracy to complicate my life. Or is it just part of the Big Plan? Hmmmmm. I wonder.

January 05, 2006

Can You Say Plantar Fasciitis?





That's my foot up there. That spot on the heel is the persistent and occasionally gasp-inducing pain that has been plaguing both my heels for a month or so now. Having a high threshold to pain, my first strategy was to ignore it, hoping it would heal itself or get bored with my inattention and go away. No such luck. I was bitching about it to a friend of mine who announced she'd had the same symptoms; her doc suggested stretching exercises. Then my sis-in-law told me she had gone to HER doc about the same problem and was diagnosed with "plantar fasciitis" (try saying PLAN-tar-fashee-EYE-tiss three times real fast). They suggested she do some expensive and annoyingly schedule-interrupting therapy to resolve the problem. She asked what the therapy involved, they told her, she did it herself, and she's much improved. I did some looking online and found a very informative site. So the therapy has begun with ice, stretching, more supportive shoes, and athletic tape. I hope it works. I had my fill of doctors last year and would like to avoid them this year.

Getting old sucks (though admittedly it's a lot better than the alternative). When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me, "All that running around, you're going to wear your body out. I have weak ankles. I married your mother because she had strong ankles. You got my ankles. Don't wear your body out." He was nutty anyway, so I didn't pay much attention. Hmmm. Maybe I should have. And besides, who's the crazy one now? I just brayered my foot with yellow citrus chalk ink so I could stamp it on the acrylic paint background I made this morning.


Disclaimer: This post is not a medical recommendation. If you croak because you tried something I advocated, supported, recommended or otherwise reported here, the fact that you fell out of the gene pool early is your problem.

8 Comments:

Blogger Alan's Room With A View said...

What a drag it is getting old....so ignoring it doesn't make it go away????

5/1/06 12:30 PM  
Blogger Paperpourri said...

How I WISH! Heck, if ignoring things made them go away, I'd be free of a LOT of things that bug me, haha!

5/1/06 12:34 PM  
Blogger JoTee said...

LOL Carole your post has me in stitches, except for the part that you hurt, you do all those stretches etc. & I bet that you will soon be feelin' better.

Yes I agree getting old has lots of "pits" in it, there are some good stuff to though...like the idea for more play time though & being able to travel when the time comes...dh turns 60 on Monday, so our play days are fast approaching.

take care

6/1/06 8:52 AM  
Blogger JoTee said...

Oh & Carole, I forgot to tell you that I love the idea that you brayered your foot with yellow paint...what a cool idea...now lets hope the doorbell doesn't ring, cause how ya going to explain a yellow foot :-)

6/1/06 8:53 AM  
Blogger Paperpourri said...

aha, Jotee, you're outed as someone who would actually CONSIDER trying to answer the door at such a time, heehee! I myself tend to ignore those irritating summonses...phone ringing, someone knocking, dog barking...if I happen to be more interestingly engaged. This particular rebellion drives my husband more crazy than any of my others, LOL!

6/1/06 10:23 AM  
Blogger Divine Synchrondipity said...

Omg, you suffer from that too? I had it for 3 years and now it's completely subsided. It was very very painful each morning...

I was told to tie some marbles in a sock and mash them into the floor with my heels. Did I do it? Well, once or twice!

Oh, I do feel for you!!!!

8/1/06 11:38 PM  
Blogger Paperpourri said...

I dunno about that marble idea! The stretching, good athletic shoes and staying off my feet has helped a LOT. Plus icing when I can stand that. Hate it though.

9/1/06 6:00 AM  
Blogger Browntigger said...

Hi Carole,
Yep, got this too! Thanks for the great link! Maybe I could also paint my feet and use their prints in my "February's Child" Art enterprise (make art every day during the month of Feb)...it would fill up two pages again ! LOL

28/1/06 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home