Carole's Creativities

A place for sharing my 2006 art journals and related creative explorations.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Castleton, VA

I am a creative type living in the hills of rural Virginia. I'm trying to transform my geek career into an art career but the two keep joining forces in a seeming conspiracy to complicate my life. Or is it just part of the Big Plan? Hmmmmm. I wonder.

January 07, 2006

Art in Motion

There wasn't supposed to be much time for "me" art today, because two friends were going to come over...one to do some target shooting with her new rifle and another who wanted to learn a couple of techniques from me that she'd seen in my art. So it was going to be a fun day but not necessarily a "me" day, ya know? But as it turned out, both gals rescheduled their visits and suddenly I had an entire day free of any obligations. This is pretty rare. Guess where I decided to spend it? Yup, in my studio which I love so much.


The first thing I worked on was the piece shown above. It's for a collaborative journaling project with a fellow artist in NY who is also building an art-based life/business. The general theme is "a life of art in motion" and figuring out how to steer it in the right direction. We're going to do it dialog fashion...I'll do a page in my journal and ship it off to her and she'll do a response page with her musings about the topic my page explores. We'll do a similar thing with her journal. I'm providing the journals, which only have 9 sheets of cardstock in them so this project hopefully will wrap up by the end of the year. I think it's going to be fun! The piece I did today demonstrates why I love "messy" art so much. The reddish streak that wends down and toward the reaching figure looks like it was deliberately put there but in fact, it's just bleed-through from the spray washes used on the title page. Once I glazed over this page with gold metallic acrylic paint, it blended the bleed-through and made it look like it was an intentional part of the design. The funny part is that when I was placing the figure (drawn freehand with dimensional fabric paint), I never even noticed the relative position of the streak, but now to me it appears as if she is being struck by lightning...or is that inspiration flowing down into her??? I'm really pleased with how this turned out.

The other art stuff I did today was work on my zine Paperpourri. I did some programming tasks for awhile and worked out the details for one of the art doll projects I'll videotape myself making tomorrow. The goal is to get Issue 4 done and headed everyone's way by the end of this month. And in another brainburst, I sat down and worked out ideas for several book arts classes I'd like to teach here this year. All in all, a VERY productive day. Now I'm ready to settle down and look through two great new books I got today: Gloria Page's Art Stamping Workshop and Lynne Perella's Alphabetica. They both look GORGEOUS and demand to be savored slowly with a nice hot cup of tea. What a great way to end my serendipitous day in the studio!

4 Comments:

Blogger Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Well, if it were mine, I would swear that the streak of lightening is inspiration, LOL! Great piece, I really like it.

7/1/06 8:04 PM  
Blogger Divine Synchrondipity said...

Carole, I was just looking at your AB gallery on your TH Studio site and I see you and I are fond of the same board book -- the one with the tabs down the side!

(Small world, isn't it?)

I bought a mess of those when I found them, as well as a few with pockets I could access from the page edges. Beautiful work, Carole!

And this piece is going into the journal heading my way?! :) I am so looking forward to our project.

Best always.

9/1/06 12:24 AM  
Blogger Paperpourri said...

Yes, I LOVE those books but only had a couple and used them both. Wasn't smart enough to buy more when the Dollar Store had them. Got smarter by the time they had the nice mulberry-covered "scrapbooks" which you and I will use for our journal project--I bought 60 of those, LOL. Cleaned the three local stores out. Yes this is the first piece in my journal for our collaborative project! I think this project is going to be great fun for both of us!

9/1/06 5:42 AM  
Blogger Divine Synchrondipity said...

Carole, I got the journals in the mail two weeks ago Friday (if I'm remembering correctly). They're very nice! (Why didn't our dollar store have them? Geeze.)

Omg! You bought 60!!!! Lol. I think my limit so far for any one paper/book item has been five. But you've been teaching... You are a kindred spirit indeed. (Big smile.)

The journal page you shared above is even more wonderful in person. I like the dimensional sun and figure, and the play of yellows and metallics. The page nearly glows in person.

Your title page (which you did not publish here) is bright and luminous as well, but this time has shots of burgundy, pink, yellow, orange and green. A colorful introduction.

If you don't mind my asking, what is that pinkish iridescent stuff? And did you use a resist (and which) to make the spirals stand out? The materials I have are very simple, and I don't have much in the way of commercial products to use. Perhaps in the future...

Yes, the paper is kind of thin, but I think both of us can bolster them up so they can take some abuse, lol.

I will get the books back to you as soon as I come up with a good intro and lead-in for mine and a complementary followup for yours.

This is exciting for me. I haven't swapped journals before.

Best always.

24/1/06 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home